Friday, August 24, 2007

Target Pants

Oh how I like and dislike Target pants.

I like them because they are reasonably cheap (usually anywhere between $20 and $40 on sale) and go up to a size 16 in their normal range, which is a generous fit.

I dislike them because the quality is often not superb (while good for the cost though) and some of the pairs I have been wearing recently are a bit old-ladyish. Truly. And they don't even have pockets, which is a pain in the arse and means I have to take a handbag everytime I leave the house.

The other day I went and tried on about 10 pairs of jeans from their clearance rack and a handful from the regular section. I am not about to spend a fortune on something that will hopefully only be worn for a couple of months. And I found a great pair of black cord pants that skimmed the thighs nicely but were loosish at the waist. These were a size 16, but all the jeans I had were a bit tight if anything. Then I caught sight of the label - this pair is from the Plus One section. So it's a size 16, but obviously 16 from the big girls section is cut bigger than a regular 16. Which is stupid if you ask me. I bought them anyway, even though I would have liked a smaller pair, because that section doesn't go any smaller than 16.

And a pair of jeans I had a fight over with an insolent teenage checkout chick and ended up abandoning, seemed a bit snug at size 16. I even drove to another store to buy them there rather than go back to the original one. To find that they only had a handful of pairs and none in 16. So back to the first store, only to find that all 3 pair of size 16 jeans in this style had gone! In three days! I looked at the 14 and they actually seemed kind of big. Big enough for me to get into. So I bought them and brought them home (I had had enough of Target at this point) and they do! Amazingly but true.

And some of the other size 16 grey Target pants are so loose now that if I don't wear a belt, they start sliding down and draping over my feet annoyingly. And I could pull them off without undoing the buttons. But I haven't lost that much weight, so I think I must have STRETCHED them out. That's the only possible answer. Because I am not a size 14 yet. Nosireeeeeeeee.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I get frustrated with the discrepency in the size 16s in the plus sizes and the size 16s in the mainstream sizes as well - it was particularly frustrating when I was at that 'in between place'.

I wish we had Target in New Zealand - whenever I go to Australia, I often go to Target and find myself grabbing items at will :-(